Wednesday, October 12, 2016

#WCW feature Myrda

Hello Friends!
So I'm back with another #WCW for Pilipino/Filipino American History Month! This week's #WCW is someone I discovered from a fellow blogger and I started following her on instagram. She's a fashion designer and has her own brand for petite plus size women like myself! 


Can you tell me a little about yourself?
My name is Myrda. I am first generation Filipino here in the US. I was born and raised in Las Vegas, NV. Went to college in SF for design and now I am a fashion designer/stylist with my own petite plus size line called Myrda J. www.myrdaj.com

Where are you or your parents from in the Philippines?
Both of my parents are from Manila.

What’s your favorite thing about being Filipino-American?
I like the fact that I can live in both worlds. Live in America, but still have the Filipino culture in my life. Nothing is better than family gatherings with great food and memorable times.
How has being Filipino-American influenced your life?
I would not be who I am today if not for my Filipino background. I would not eat the same, look the same, talk the same if it were not for my family. I feel as a culture Filipinos are giving individuals that just want to love and have a good time. Its wonderful to be a part of something like that.

How did you get into the fashion industry?
I have loved fashion since I could remember. I liked the fact that you can express yourself with something as basic as clothes. After I graduated from UNLV, I applied to FIDM in San Francisco. I never thought I would get in, but I did. I rented out my house and packed my bags and never looked back. Upon completion of FIDM, I landed a job in SF's fashion industry specializing in Plus Size Women's Apparel. From there, I just kept on working, learning and experiencing more and more each day.

Can you tell me a little about your fashion brand and where you got inspiration for it?
I wanted more options for the plus size women in the world, especially for the shorter ones, like me. Plus Size is finally getting the mainstream light, but there still is not enough choices out there, so I launched my line of Plus Petite clothing. Please feel free to check it out! Petite Plus Fashion
What are some of your goals or dreams in life?
To travel more and have a very successful holding in the fashion industry. I love what I do and if I can make a generous living from it, that would be my goal. In a perfect world, I would have my business and still have plenty of time for my family. Now that I am a mother, I would love to be with my daughter as much as possible and to live and experience things with her and my husband.

Who inspires you and why?
Hardworking women like my mom, who have made something of themselves inspire me. She came to this country and made something out of nothing. She worked hard and never gave up on anything she wanted regardless if it was within reach or not. Growing up with someone like that molds you into a driven individual. Hopefully one day I will inspire my daughter and others around me as well. To dream big and never let go.

Have you ever faced any adversities as a Filipina in America and if you have how did you overcome them?
No, I can't recall a time where my heritage had hindered me from something. I never really looked at myself as Filipina or American. I was always just Myrda a girl that was born in Vegas with a Filipino family that ate different foods and spoke another language at home. There was this one time in grade school when I brought itlog na malat with kamatis and rice and I got funny looks, but being one of only 2 Filipino kids in my elementary school, it was not shocking to me to get those looks. Sometimes a girl just wants her salted eggs and rice, it was worth it.

Do you have any advice for someone who wants to pursue something they love? 

Never give up. Just keep working hard and looking forward. On the day when you finally look back you will be amazed at all you have done and accomplished!

Thank you for reading and thank you Myrda for letting me feature you! If you want to visit Myrda's page click (here) for the link!

XOXO - Nina
{Don't forget to Follow}

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...